We are coming up on the 2013/14 school year! We are happy to be able to share what we are doing during the school year with our parents/guardians through our website. We will be updating our website with the latest news so you will know what is going on at MLK Jr. Elementary School.
School starts at 9:25 am and ends at 3:35 pm. Students are not to be dropped off at school before 8:55am there is no supervision for students before that time. Breakfast starts at 9am.
We look forward to seeing everybody on the first day of school, September 4th!
As we head into colder months, we want to make sure you are aware of how to get important weather-related information.
When we are expecting snow or inclement weather, a Central Office team continually monitors conditions across the District. That includes having staff drive some of the streets that are typically more treacherous in snow and ice. After consulting with other agencies, we decide whether to delay school by two hours or if a closure is necessary. That decision is typically made by 5:30 a.m.
You can learn if there is a school delay or closure through:
· local TV and radio stations
· the District website at www.seattleschools.org
· an automated phone call you will receive
· Twitter @seapubschools
· the Public Schools Emergency Communications System at www.flashalert.net
Staff and families will receive one of the following four messages:
1. Seattle Public Schools: Schools open on time – buses operating on snow routes. No door-to-door service. No Preschool or Head Start.
2. Seattle Public Schools: Two hours late – buses operating on snow routes. No door-to-door service. No Preschool or Head Start.
3. Seattle Public Schools: Two hours late – buses operating on regular routes. No door-to-door service. No Preschool or Head Start.
4. Seattle Public Schools: Schools closed.
Transportation: “Snow route” means that buses only run on roads that are maintained by the City that receive snow removal. The Seattle Department of Transportation’s Winter Weather brochure is attached and provides information on the City’s snow routes.
Please note: During winter weather conditions, safety is our top priority. Our buses may run up to an hour late in the afternoon during slick weather conditions.
Office of Public Affairs